Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Are your kids ready for back to school?

Back to school is right around the corner for us here in Central Florida. My daughter is ready to go back to school. We have spent some of the Summer reading, keeping up and advancing her Math skills and focusing on subjects she is interested in, but they are not teaching in school at her grade level.



One subject she is very interested in is geography. In First grade Geography is not taught at all. We reviewed all 50 states, their capitals and something each state is known for (bird, flower, festival, etc).
At the end of the school year when I was looking for a map locally, I couldn't find what I wanted so I went to Amazon and found these two maps.




These maps were the perfect size. I have them both hanging up in our dining room (they are just large enough that the fit side by side on one wall).

The maps in conjunction with homemade worksheets assisted my soon-to-be second grader in learning US Geography and starting to learn World Geography.

Was your child interested in additional learning this summer? If so, what was the subject and where did you find the tools you used to enhance their education?

No comments: